El The training program of Nursing Family and Community Care was published in the Official Gazette on June 2010 to provide a framework for the training of nursing residents in the speciality of Family and Community Care.
As the Program says, speciality lasts for 2 years to carry out in a primary care centre and in hospitals, social health and public health, among other services and centers, with the aim of achieving the necessary skills at the end of the speciality. It is also a necessary document for the future specialist in Nursing Community Care so he or she can learn about the activities, requirements, objectives and competencies during their training.
Values ¿¿and competencies set by the program are key aspects in the training of Nurse Family Care and Community. Broadly speaking, it would be:
- Commitment and guidance to individuals, families and community. Conception of people holistically throughout their lives and in their natural environment, with families and communities and their interactions, culture and their environment.
- Commitment to society, fairness and efficient management of resources. Family and Community Nurse has a high social responsibility for the efficient use of health resources.
- Commitment to continuous quality improvement. Family and Community Nurse makes its decisions based on scientific evidence to date and for this reason upgrade their knowledge, skills, and professional attitudes, while making involving people in decisions that affect their health. Teamwork, participation and co-responsibility are prerequisites.
- Ommitment to ethics. Family and Community Nursing bases its commitment to people on the principles of bioethics and especially, on the principle of autonomy (self-care and responsibility). It must also maintain the rigour and ethics in the development of its teaching and research.
- Commitment to user and patient safety . Family and Community Nurse will promote and develop awareness and safety culture of the people he or she serves. She or he will collaborate and participate in projects that help promote and evaluate safe practices.
- Commitment to professional development. Family and Community Nurse is committed to the overall development of their profession and particularly with its main area of work: nursing intervening in families, communities and public health.
The versatility of the work of Family and Community Nurse is a feature of the speciality and an incentive to actively participate in research, development, consolidation and updating of the own corpus of knowledge and action framework.
The speciality program takes into account different skills that encompass the formation of Family and Community Nurse: advanced skills, priority skills, advanced clinical skills in family and community level, skills in public and community health, teaching skills and research skills.
These skills form the professional profile of the specialist-in-training and develop in the family and community field. Aditionally they form part of a principle of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary teams of health care professionals.
In the context of the health system, advanced skills of specialists in Family and Community Nursing can be grouped into the following sections:
- Skills related to the provision of advanced care in direct clinical care in the field of family and community care for people throughout their life cycle and families at all stages, both in terms of their management as planning and development, according to the needs of the population and the demands of health services.
- Duties related to public health, concerning the design of education programs for public and community health, concerning the design of education programs for health, epidemiological and environmental surveillance, and emergency and disaster.
- Skills related to teaching, aimed at both individuals and families as well as students and other professionals.
- Competencies related to the management of care and services at the household and community level, in order to apply them according to the principles of equity and efficiency and developing strategies to improve the quality of care in community care.
- Competencies related to research. Its goals are: to use the best available evidence, generate knowledge and disseminate the existing one.
- Identify the health needs of the population and provide with the correct answer from the care health services to citizens in any field (care center, home, school, workplace).
- Establish and manage sentinel networks of epidemiology of medical care.
- To develop activity indicators and criteria for quality of care in the family and community level.
- Increase the monitoring and longitudinal care in assessing the individual and the family from the perspective of the need for care in their environment and at all stages of life, with special attention to those who should be cared for at home.
- To respond effectively to the needs of people with chronic diseases prevalent in situations of disability, risk and fragility form.
- To design and develop intervention strategies and community participation, focusing on health promotion and disease prevention.
- Ensuring continuity of care and care through effective management and coordination of available human and material resources.
- To promote the operation of multidisciplinary teams, through participation, reflection, analysis and consensus and with respect for the powers and other specialists and professionals in the community level and Public Health.
- To improve nursing practice in family and community through research in nursing care and participation in multidisciplinary research lines.
Advanced clinical skills in family and community
Through community we take care of the population and family throughout the whole life of the individual. The achieved clinical skills are broken down in the Program as attention to every life stage:
- Clinical and advanced methodology
- The childcare
- Attention to adolescence
- Attention to the overall health in the adult stage
- Attention to sexual, reproductive health and gender
- Care for the elderly
- The family care
- Attention to emergencies, emergencies and disasters
- The health care to situations of fragility or social health risk
Competence in public and community health
The primary objective of the program is the acquisition of professional skills detailed above, performing, at leas,t the minimum activities established in different centers, services and places of learning.
The basic objective is to learn by doing.,